Church with Becky

Becky and I are followers of Christ. She cannot remember not believing in the Gospel. I became a Christian in June of 1976 when I was nineteen years old.

Attending religious ceremonies is difficult for Becky. She will sit quietly and stand when others stand. Unless the music is an old hymn or gospel song from the 1970's of 1980's, she will not sing or even hum along. Communion is difficult since it requires some coordination, especially if you have to drink from a thimble. Today we took communion from a communion station, so it was more confusing for her. I gave her the bread and said, "This is the body of Christ broken for you." I took the juice and said, "This is the blood of Christ shed for you." I am not sure how much that helped, but in that moment, I because a priest for Becky.

I said to Becky what is said to me every week in my Anglican Church. Becky cannot go there because the music is too loud for her. We have Becky's weekend helper (we just lost our old one of five months) take Becky three times a month and I take her once a month. My church is vital to my life, so I do not want to give it up. Several people at Becky's church remember her from when we both attended there 1994-2000. God is active there, and for that I am grateful.

Becky has lost much of her mind, her agency, and her life. She has not lost Christ, who is closer to her than I am to her. Christ is even closer to her than she is to herself.

Lord, have mercy.

Comments

  1. Doug, I wish I knew of a way to reach out to Becky. I feel rather helpless from a distance and fear that it may convey that we've forgotten you all, and we have not. Our love and prayers are with you both. We thank God for you all. I am especially touched by how I see you doing everything you can to give her prized life continued value. You certainly have not failed, even though you may feel weak in the process. Prayerfully, The Wrights

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is primary, progressive aphasia?

Wordless